I’ve spent most of the yesterday and today working with Greg to migrate their workstations in the Graduate College from Gemini to AD. There are eight workstations to be migrated; we’ve done six. I’m hoping to get another done this afternoon, but I need to leave on time!
Some of the issues making this complicated include:
- the office uses OTGserver for document imaging
- the graduate college was left in the grad.sis.uvm context, rather than getting fully migrated to users.uvm
- several users are logging into departmental accounts, rather than individual accounts
- various scumware and even a filesharing app
- I’ve been installing FireFox and Thunderbird and performing a migration from Eudora…
- there are some systems that are multi-user; formerly, these used a departmental account, but our new model prefers that workstudy students use their own NetIDs and log in individually. But this may have its own limitations.
Apparently, I need to do a better job of interrogating people and systems before starting a migration.