So it’s twilight in February, and I come back to the house after having shoveled the snow from the end of the driveway to find NatureBoy coming out of the house, bundled up and carrying two of the boffer swords we made in the summer.
Our session was brief, and the harder hits stung smartly, but we both were breathing heavily by the end. I love being a geek.
This post is very overdue.
Several weeks ago, Beloved Wife headed off for a weekend of Grrrl Power, leaving NatureBoy and me to our own devices (buwa-ha-ha-ha!). We dropped into the friendly neighborbood gaming store to see what was going on for Free RPG Day. We were a little disappointed because no one was running any games. Of course, I didn’t step up and volunteer to run anything either. We did pick up some of the free modules and demo give-aways, however, and a friend ran a game of Munchkin for us. That was fun; thankers Tyler!
On the way home we decided that this was the weekend we would make Boffer Swords. Now, I have looked at boffer sword construction sites on and off for over a year, but I hadn’t found any that looked sturdy enough. Then we found the Sword Tag site on the list of links at the wikipedia boffer site. We had been studying these instructions for about a week, and I knew what materials we would need.
So we stopped at the friendly neighborhood hardware store and picked up 1/2-inch CPVC pipe, pipe insulation, fiberglass rods, duct tape (in several colors!), spray adhesive, and a couple other things. We then spent about four hours on Saturday afternoon and evening, and four or more on Sunday afternoon putting the swords together.
The most of the following pictures were taken with the crappy camera in my Treo 700w. But they serve to document the process…
We set up my laptop nearby for easy reference, and got to work. NB carefully measured his materials and cut the PVC himself.